Ferwafa to appeal CAF’s ban

Rwanda Football Federation, FERWAFA is set to appeal the decision taken by the Confederation of African Football (CAF) to disqualify Rwanda from the 2015 Africa Nations Cup qualifiers. 

The Ferwafa chairman said on Monday that the country was shocked to be banned but urged football fans to be calm.

“This development was very shocking because we expected CAF to be fair on all fronts. Banning the country for a fielding a player who has not played for any other nation apart from Rwanda was very unfair,”

“As we speak the legal affairs committee is studying the documents CAF based on to ban and after we will appeal this decision.  We believe that we shall get positive feed-back. It is the only thing we can do,”

Rwanda has until Tuesday midnight to lodge the appeal to the Caf appeal board against yesterday’s decision by the 2015 Afconorganising committee to disqualify the country on the grounds that it fielded an ineligible player.

Rwanda had been placed in Group A alongside Nigeria, South Africa and Sudan.

The decision was based on the protest by the Congo Football Federation about Rwanda’s fielding of Congolese born striker DadyBirori on July 20, in Pointe-Noire, with the former arguing that the player uses two different names.

Birori was instrumental in Rwanda’s progression to the group stage of the 2015 Afcon qualifiers, and was the hero of the day when Rwanda outclassed Libya 3-0 in Kigali, scoring all the three goals and effectively firing Amavubi to the next round where they played Congo.

Against Congo, he featured in the team that suffered a 2-0 away defeat but was unavailable for the return leg in Kigali when the Amavubi turned tables and booked a place in the final qualifying stage after winning 4-3 in shootouts having scored twice in regulation time to level matters 2-2 in aggregate.

The player at the centre of the controversy is said to have two passports, one for Rwanda, under the name Daddy Birori, born December 12, 1986, and a Congolese (DR Congo) passport, in which he is identified as AgitiTadyEtekiama, born December 13, 1990.

Ferwafa officials say they had no idea the striker had changed his name.

But CAF says their investigations had concluded that Rwanda FA has previously identified the player as EtekiamaAgitiTady in a call-up to join the national team in camp.

Caf rules do not allow players to by go two different identities.

Meanwhile, the Afconorganising committee has suspended Birori from football matters until further notice.

Whether he faces further sanctions will be decided during the upcoming Caf meeting on September 14, the continental governing body said yesterday.

It remains unclear why Caf has previously turned down a similar petition by Libya whose qualification hopes were shattered by Birori at the Kigali Regional Stadium.