Liverpool

Liverpool

Nigerian winger Victor Moses is set to get an unlikely route back into the Liverpool first team.

Moses scored on his debut for the Reds on November 16, 2013 against Swansea at the Liberty Stadium following his season-long loan switch from Chelsea but subsequently fell out of favour with manager, Brendan Rodgers.

The 23-year-old who has started just six league games for the club since his loan switch from Chelsea now appears set to get the nod from Rodgers following the injury picked up by striker, Daniel Sturridge.

Liverpool confirmed on Wednesday that Sturridge will miss the next league match against Norwich City at Carrow Road after he picked up an injury against Manchester City on Sunday.

In his absence, Rodgers is expected to call on Moses to deputise for the England striker who has scored 20 goals in 26 league appearances this season.

Moses has flattered to deceive at Anfield this season and it was even reported in January that his loan deal with the Reds will be cancelled.

Liverpool gaffer Rodgers has, however, stated that his faith in the Nigerian remains unshaken.

“I was surprised to see that report (that the loan deal will be cancelled). I have regular dialogue with Chelsea. I saw Eddie Newton before the game.

“We speak regularly on Victor’s development. Victor’s talent hasn’t gone away, he’s very happy here (at Liverpool),” Rodgers said in his press conference on Friday.

Rodgers, however, admitted that Moses is still trying to come to terms with life at a club like Liverpool while adding that the former Wigan Athletic man appears to be on the right path.

“Of course, he (Moses) wants to play more, but he’s learning, like he has at Chelsea, the demands of being at a big club.

“I’m delighted to have him here and I’m sure over the course of his time here he’ll show the talent that he has,” he said in one of his press conferences earlier in the season.