Organisational problems have hit the ongoing Cecafa Senior Challenge Cup as the tournament heads to the quarter-finals this weekend.
The quarter-finals are scheduled for the Mombasa Municipal Stadium but there might be a change of plans following disagreements between the county government and Football Kenya Federation (FKF).
Mombasa County government is yet to deposit Sh10 million with the local football governing body as “operational costs” before it’s cleared to host the matches. A source at FKF told Nation Sport on Tuesday that Mombasa must pay the cash before the quarter-finals, “just like other counties”.
“Nairobi paid FKF Sh10 million, Machakos Sh5 million and Nakuru Sh5 million as operational costs. Mombasa are however yet to pay and this is where the problem is,” the source said.
Mombasa County’s Gender, Youth and Sports Executive, Hazel Koitaba, said they were discussing the matter with the FKF and expressed hopes a solution would be found before Saturday.
He said the county government had agreed to facilitate the teams’ travel expenses and accommodation, but their proposal had been rejected by FKF.
“We’ve confirmed our willingness to cater for the accommodation, transport, security and other costs for the visiting teams,” said Koitaba.